Scaffolding systems are not an invention of the modern era. They have been associated with construction ever since it started. Quite frankly, building sites did not have any other option but to accommodate these structures.
The Evolution of Scaffolding Systems
Since there is a long history behind these systems, you can imagine how much they must have been modified over the years. The governing principles remain the same but there have been some amazing technological advancements.
- Back in the old days when metal extraction wasn’t all that easy, scaffolding arrangements were mostly made of wood. Scaffolding suppliers normally rented these systems for an agreed time period which still continues to be a norm.
- The types of these systems mainly depend on upon the construction site. The main purpose is to give the crew workers and builders a safe platform to carry out their operations with comfort and safety.
- The modern methods may look too different from the traditional ones. However, they have become more of a requirement in this age thank to the highly capable machineries that are used at construction sites.
You will mostly find tubular structures these days. Scaffolding companies Canada, such as Scafom North America, normally rent and sell these structures made out of steel and aluminum. These materials are light yet strong to bear considerable amount of force and weight. You can Visit Scafom Canada for more information.
Major Elements of a Scaffolding System
There can be quite a few kinds of scaffolding systems as we said earlier. However, we will enlighten you with the basis scaffolding design. All the structures are based on the fundamental elements of such structures.
- Transoms: In simpler words these are simply the platforms which rest on top of the ledgers. They provide easy walking path to the workers and in a way, they also provide more stability to these structure. In many applications, transoms can be mobile. It means that the y can be lifted from one floor to another through ropes. Therefore, worker doesn’t have to climb the floors. Instead they can simply move higher or lower through the rope transmission.
- Ledgers: To bring more strength and stability to the structure, ledgers are connected horizontally at a right angle to the uprights. You can imagine a 3D structure forming with uprights and ledgers. Ledgers are connected at a certain distance from each other depending on the overall height of the system. For higher structures, the ledgers may have to b a lot closer together to ensure strength.
- The Uprights: These are the vertical tubular lines that are meant to transfer all the weight of the structure to the ground. They are the core elements of the structure they hold more than one floors together in their respective places. If a vertical tube fails for any reason, it is going to affect the whole structure in a big way.
Scaffolding arrangements are so vital to the cause of any construction site that they can never be denied at any cost. In order to build a strong and reliable building, strong scaffolding is very critical.